OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE T&F/SILVA HEAD TUBE MILL (Spinone designed - machined by Andy in the Strawberry Garage)
1) Slide the SILVA head tube reamer/facer cutter onto the arbor (held inside the mill handle body). Tighten the arbor draw bolt with a 6mm Allen wrench securing the arbor and cutter to the mill body. Note: arbor has 20.5mm o.d. and accepts all sizes of SILVA reamer/facers.
2) Slide aligning cone onto the bottom spot faced end of the arbor guide tube and tighten the cone securing bolt with 6mm Allen wrench.
3) Assemble the compression rod first threading the brass Acme square nut a few turns then thread the round steel knob to the end below the Acme threaded portion and secure by tightening the set screw. Drop the spring over the rod to rest on the nut.
4) Pass the assembled compression rod/Acme nut/spring into the bottom spot faced end of the arbor guide tube. Place the mill body into one end of the head tube then pass the compression rod/arbor guide tube through the opposite end of the head tube and screw the rod into the mill arbor.
5) Tighten the brass Acme square nut to apply spring force to load the guide tube against the arbor then loosen the cone securing bolt and slide the cone up to the head tube and tighten the bolt with a 6mm Allen wrench.
6) Loosen the arbor draw bolt 12 turns. This allows the arbor guide tube to descend into the head tube applying a 15mm preload. Loosen the cone securing bolt and slide the cone snug up against the head tube and tighten the cone bolt. Tighten the arbor draw bolt drawing the arbor and cutter back up into the mill body.
7) Proceed to mill the head tube. Tighten the brass Acme square nut some during the reaming operation if needed to increase the spring load. Reverse and mill the other end of the head tube.